Is our world moving pretty quickly these days? Work, school, kids, laundry, bills, hobbies, parents, friends, errands… we’re tired just thinking about the stuff we cram into a typical day! No wonder we’re keeping Starbucks in business and craving sugar every afternoon. And when nighttime comes around and our bodies want to be winding down for sleep, we end up so wired that we need a glass of wine or cocktail to calm down. We’re using a “stimulate-sedate” cycle just to keep up with the pace of our lives.
Here are my 4 simple steps to a much needed break in today’s fast paced world:
Try them this week!
- Start with a list. Make a list of all the relaxing things you love to do, but rarely take time for. Stuck for ideas?
Here are some examples to get you started -
- A massage
- A nap
- Turn your iphone, ipad or blackberry off for three hours
- Read a book
- An afternoon at a spa
- An hour in your favorite park
- A weekend away at a quiet cabin or beach
- Watch two funny movies in a row
- Take a pilates class
- Pick one thing you can do in the next week. Pick something easy, enjoyable and affordable from your list.
- Set aside time in your calendar. Make this an appointment that can’t be missed.
- Give yourself permission. We rarely allow ourselves to slow down, perhaps for fear that if we do we could fall apart. Give this gift to yourself, and commit to doing it regularly. Keep adding to your list so you never run out of relaxing activities.
Here’s a thought…
What are your favorite ways to take a vacation from the world? Email me with your strategies. The most creative way to kick back wins a free half-hour consult with me. The winner will be announced by February 15th.